NORTHEASTERN STATE UNIVERSITY
Minutes of Faculty Council Meeting
FRIDAY, September 10, 2010
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by President Denise Deason-Toyne at 3:15 p.m. in SCI 129. Please note that the delay in call to order was as a result of technology problems. There was ITV access at Muskogee (SYNR209), Broken Arrow (B225) and Tahlequah.
Council Members in attendance: Ron Cambiano (COE); Kristopher Copeland (COLA); Amy Proctor (COLA); Carolyn Cox (COLA); Jennifer Edwards (COLA); Susan Woitte (Library); Brandon Oberg (Library); Isaac DiIanni (B & T); Randy Snider (alternate for John Diamantopoulos, Science & Health Professions); Dan Sisk (Science & Health Professions); Ryan Fenska(Optometry)
Council Members in attendance in Broken Arrow: Anita Ede (Education); Tom Rink (alternate for Buster Hall-COLA); Pamela Louderback (Library), Julia Kwok (Business & Technology); Paul Cooper (COLA); Dilene Crocket
Council Members in attendance in Muskogee: Joyce Van Nostrand (Nursing)
Council Officers in attendance: Denise Deason-Toyne (President), Dan Savage (Vice President), Pamela Louderback (Secretary/Treasurer).
Guests: Tahlequah: Dr. Donald Betz; President (Administration); Dr. Martin Tadlock, Provost (Administration); Tom Salmon (Optometry).
Guests: Broken Arrow: Linda Summers (Library)
Invited Presentations (none provided)
[Council will set aside time at the first of each meeting to visit with Administrative Officers should they be able to attend.]
President Betz briefly addressed the Faculty Council and extended a wish for an exceptional year to all -- noting that although service through the Faculty Council seems like a burden, it is really an opportunity. Several key points President shared included:
- His goal to continue to democratize the University
- Enrollment numbers continue to increase; the institution is positioning itself to thrive in the recovery period that will take place in the near future – to advance the opportunities for Northeastern State University despite state funding shortfalls is crucial
- Over time, the advancement of grant acquisitions will be very important to the University.
Provost Tadlock briefly addressed the Faculty Council and stressed that the Council needs to take a leadership role in soliciting ideas from other faculty members. Tadlock solicited input via his blog for big ideas of what the University is going to do in the future. Several key topics the Provost discussed included:
- The Council shall play a critical role in defining the terms “shared governance” – the University is in the process of determining what shared governance means and what it looks like. Administration requests that Deans, Chairs and faculty be “on the same page” on definitions, processes, etc.
- Regarding the tenure and promotion process, Provost Tadlock would like to see the Council’s committee recommendations as soon as possible so Administration can move the recommendations forward.
- Regarding the curriculum process, the Council is not currently involved in this process; Provost Tadlock suggested the Council may want to become involved in the process
Provost Tadlock indicated he was very supportive of the Council and extended a “thank you” for the Council’s service.
Introductions of Newly elected delegates and continuing delegates
Faculty Council President Deason-Toyne welcomed all new and returning delegates. President Deason-Toyne requested council members talk with other faculty members to get feedback on what shared governance looks like. This is our opportunity to play a critical role in developing guidelines for what the process might look like. Discussion regarding the process of communication included: opening up a Blackboard section, using a wiki to track changes; framing the definition around what the President has said and tying it back to the mission, vision, and values of the University; ideas should speak to the principles we are supposed to be operating under.
A. Committees and Standing
1. Review/Approval of Minutes of the 06/07/10 meeting
Minutes of the May meeting was reviewed. No corrections were made. Rink moved to approve the minutes, it was seconded by DiIanni. The motion passed.
2. Financial Report/Budget for 2010-.
President Deason-Toyne noted monies are allocated to the Council every fiscal year. As of July, the Council has $4,100; no monies have been spent/encumbered for this fiscal year. Monies not spent by the end of each fiscal year are returned to the University budget.
COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
President Deason-Toyne noted committee assignment opportunities; send an email to Secretary Louderback and President Deason-Toyne listing your preferences. The following committee assignment opportunities include:
– FACULTY WELFARE
– FACULTY AWARDS/CIRCLE OF EXCELLENCE (Review of criteria)
– BYLAWS REVIEW COMMITTEE *
– CIRCUS* – Committee Investigating Redundant Committees Undermining Success (a committee on committees)
– CURRICULUM/PROGRAM REVIEW COMMITTEE *
– SHARED GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE *
The following individuals noted an interest in committees: Oberg (Faculty Welfare); Woitte (Faculty Awards/Circle of Excellence); Kwok (Bylaws Review); DiIanni and Fenska (CIRCUS); Savage, Copeland, and Deason-Toyne (Shared Governance).
President Deason-Toyne noted that currently the Council makes recommendations for committees. However, Dr. Janet Bahr also sends out a list to all faculty requesting preferences. Provost Tadlock thinks nominations should probably be coming out of the Faculty Council. Additionally, currently the Curriculum/Program Review Committee does not have faculty input; it goes through the Deans. President Deason-Toyne feels a structure should be set up to allow for more collaborative ideas that include faculty presence.
- Tenure Policy and Procedure committee report – Provost Tadlock is holding off on any final decisions until he hears from the Council committee. President Deason-Toyne stressed a sense of urgency to this process going. One point of concern voiced was the final report was not sent out to the entire faculty for input. Deason-Toyne moved that she will send out to all faculty to provide an opportunity for feedback. All comments must be received by September 30th; comments will then be viewed at the Council’s next meeting scheduled for October 1. DiIanni moved to approve, it was seconded by Rink. The motion passed.
- Academic Integrity Policy/Process – Discussion took place regarding the benefits and challenges of a central depository for shared space on student academic integrity issues. The main concerns were: securing of private/sensitive information; portions phrased vaguely and construed as somewhat subjective; “right to confidentiality” to the extent required by the law. Suggestions for additions included incorporating phraseology that “can exist in addition to all other codes of conduct already in place in departments but does not supersede the profession policy”. President Deason-Toyne will email out the amended/corrected document and send forward the recommendations to Administration.
B. Old Business
1. Expansion of Undergraduate Research Day – more student/faculty participation
President Deason-Toyne stressed the Council “talk it up” with colleagues, send reminders, solicit ideas on how to generate increased interest. Van Nostrand suggested “evidence-based practice” presentations would be a beneficial addition; it was done at OU and was successful. Other ideas included: “independent study” opportunities; concurrent sessions during Facuty Development days, consider using a general theme that all departments focus their presentations on; and pair students with industry contacts made through Deans contacts. The Council felt it would be beneficial to have representatives facilitating Research Day to attend the next Faculty Council meeting. President Deason-Toyne will make the contacts. Further discussion regarding this topic will take place during our next scheduled meeting in October.
2. Faculty/Staff Development Days – add day(s) to calendar to provide time? See proposed 2011-2012 calendar
Council members requested further clarification; President Deason-Toyne will contact Dr. Bahr for clarification on student study days and report back to the Council.
3. Revisions to Criteria for Circle of Excellence –
Further discussion regarding this topic will take place during a future meeting.
4. New Faculty Orientation – spread over semester/first year?
Overwhelming responses indicated the orientation was very helpful and well facilitated. Proposals for improvement included: Mentoring committees; links placed on the webpage (i.e., FAQ); setting up a Blackboard site (Dr. Carolyn Cox offered to create and facilitate)
5. Location for Faculty Gathering – All campuses
President Deason-Toyne will entertain emails; further discussion regarding this topic will take place during our next scheduled meeting in October.
C. New Business
6. GOALS for 2010-2011
Further discussion regarding this topic will take place during our next scheduled meeting in October.
7. AAUP- Conference on Shared Governance
This conference will take place in November. President Deason-Toyne solicited interest; Deason-Toyne will find out if Faculty Council monies may be used to support attendance. President Deason-Toyne will send emails; further discussion regarding this topic will take place during our next scheduled meeting in October.
8. – ANNOUNCEMENTS - None
The meeting adjourned at 5:03 P.M.
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 1, 2010
ITEMS BEING MONITORED-
Location of Circle of Excellence Bricks
Worker’s Comp. advocate/liaison
Submitted by Pamela Louderback, Secretary-Treasurer