of Faculty Council Meeting
Friday, September 5, 2008
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by President Craig Clifford in
There was ITV access at
Council Members in attendance: Sarah Brick Archer (Library), Ernst Bekkering (Business & Technology), Ron Cambiano (Education), Denise Deason-Toyne (Business & Technology), John Diamantopoulos (Science & Health Professions), Jennifer Edwards (Liberal Arts), Brian Kaney (Science & Health Professions), Alan McKee (Optometry), Dan Savage (Liberal Arts), Dan Sisk (Science & Health Professions)Council Members in attendance in
Council Members in attendance in
Council Officers in attendance: Craig Clifford (President),
Lallie Scott (Vice President), Linda West (Secretary/Treasurer).
Guests: President Betz, Martin Venneman (Science & Health Professions), Chuck Ziehr (Liberal Arts),
Invited Presentations[Council will set aside time at the first of each meeting to visit with President Williams, VP Academic Affairs Bigbee and/or VP Administration Cherry should they be able to attend.]
A. Committees and Standing Reports
1. Minutes of 4/30/08 meeting
Van Nostrand made a motion that the minutes be
approved as presented. It was seconded by Deason-Toyne and the motion
2. Spending Report
We have the same funding as last
year. The new College Circle of Excellence plaques are ready to
pickup and brick engraving will happen soon.
3. Successes and Failures of Last Year
looked over last year and we did pretty good at handling issues that
came up. We had a good working relationship with Interim
President Cherry. We handled issues like selling textbooks and
guns on campus. There are still some things to deal with,
however, a long standing issue was addressed with the expansion of fee
waivers for spouses and increases for dependents.
B . Old Business
1. General Education Task Force - Update (Sanford)
The 2007/2008 report from the Task Force is online (Task Force Report link)
They are reconvening this year and will get feedback on the
report. A final report will be finished by March 2009 with
recommendations for curriculum changes.
2. Evaluation of Online Courses - Two package being examined (Clifford/Bekkering/Brittain)
evaluation tool we put together last year was used on Blackboard, but
it was not secure. The results have been thrown out and will not
be used. Over the summer, a group looked at packages to purchase
that would be secure methods of performing evaluations and eliminating
paper in all classes. They are powerful tools and would allow a
longer period of time to fill out. On some of these, the
instructor could add their own questions or there could be college
level questions. Plans are to implement one of the programs in
the spring. Concern was again raised that the results of
evaluations remain secure between the dean and faculty member and not
be used for other purposes.
1. Conflict of Interest Policy - Draft (Clifford)
received some comments. He is still receiving feedback and will
pass those on to the committee that wrote the policy. Faculty
Council recommended that Deason-Toyne be added to the committee as a
representative of Faculty Council. It was moved by Cambiano,
seconded by Van Nostrand and the motion passed.
2. Office Hour Requirement - (Denise Deason-Toyne)
There have been questions from new faculty
specifically about faculty who teach online courses. Can some
office hours be online? There are questions about the need for
eight hours and one hour everyday. Some faculty travel to
different campuses and don't teach every day. There are commuting
costs of getting to an office on a different campus. There is
support from students for a four day class week. Clifford will
talk to VP Bigbee about the question. There was a suggestion to
leave the decisions to the chair level. We will invite VP Bigbee
to speak to us about the subject.
D. Other Business
1. Social Security Numbers on forms (Deason-Toyne)
Despite our resolution last year about
SSNs on forms. There continue to be forms that request SSN (i.e.
parking) We could involve student government in a joint
resolution. We will invite VP Cherry to talk about this again.
2. Study Days (Diamantopoulos)
year, the introduction of study days was announced as on a trial
basis. Was there a discussion of making this permanent? It
was observed by the group that test scores are not better. Some
students have complained. These are questions for VP Bigbee.
3. Recycling on Campus (Archer)
brought up the idea of recycling on campus. This is an item on
the President's agenda. There was also discussion of day care on
campus. There is a task force looking at the day care issue.
4. TIAA-CREF vs. Private 403B (Kaney)
There was a
question about the University taking back the administration of the
403b money. Perhaps Yeutter could address the issue for
faculty. It was also mentioned that a forum for retirement
information with options and ramifications for faculty would be welcome.
5. Selection of Department Chairs
if there had been a follow-up to this recommendation made by Faculty
Council (10-7-05) The policy does not appear to have been adopted.
Announcement: The Elizabeth Eckford lecture will be on campus in the Net Auditorium.
The meeting adjourned at 4:34 p.m.
Next meeting October 10.
Submitted by Linda West, Secretary-Treasurer