NORTHEASTERN STATE UNIVERSITY
of Faculty Council Meeting
Friday, March 9, 2012
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by President Deason-Toyne
There was ITV access at Muskogee, Broken Arrow and
Council Members in attendance in Tahlequah: Ron Cambiano (Education), Shari Clevenger (Liberal
Arts), Isaac DiIanni (Business & Technology), Kendra Haggard (Liberal Arts), Chris
Miller (Liberal Arts), Brandon Oberg (Library), Spence Pilcher (Science
& Health Professions), Cheryl Van Den Handel (Liberal Arts), Joyce Van Nostrand (Muskogee), Susan
Woitte (Library) Council Members in attendance in Broken
Arrow: Tia Bennett (Education), Jeb Briley (Business
& Technology), Kelly Dunbar (Education), Julia Kwok (Business & Technology), Tobi Thompson (Education)
Council Members in attendance in Muskogee: Ryan Fenska (Optometry)
Council Officers in attendance: Denise Deason-Toyne (President),
Pamela Louderback (Vice President), Linda West (Secretary/Treasurer).
Guests: Ernst Bekkering (Business & Technology), Tom Jackson (AVP)
Tahlequah. Dave Kern (Business & Technology), Tom Rink
(Library), Mike Wilds (Liberals Arts) - Broken Arrow. Diana
Mashburn (Science & Health Professions) - Muskogee
Dr. Jackson addressed the Council concerning the upcoming HLC visit
and the HLC Assessment Academy. There will be a Monday, 11:00 am
time slot in the Morgan Room for Faculty Council to meet with part of
the visiting team. There were no public comments received.
Ben Young is chair of the team from Indiana. Our self study looks
good. We joined the HLC Assessment Academy in late 2010 and have
two projects. 1. A study of the outcomes of the old versus
new gen ed and capstone. 2. Will be a later project to assess our
graduates performance and feedback from employers. The HLC link
is on the homepage. There will also be an open faculty meeting on
Tuesday at 11:30. Everyone is encouraged to read the self study.
Kern then addressed the Council representing the UPC. There
is a request for new proposals for projects for the coming year.
They can come through groups or directly. Each project will
have a cabinet sponsor. Several ideas came up in discussion and
will be brought up at a future meeting. Shared governance was one
of the topics discussed. Delegates were encouraged to get
feedback about projects and bring them to the next meeting.
A. Call to Order
1. Review/Approval of minutes of the February 2, 2012 meeting (http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~faculty_council/minutesfeb2012.html)
Minutes were accepted.
2. Budget Report
The budget is unchanged except for the $500 expended for Undergraduate Research Day.B . Committees/Standing Reports
1. Need volunteers to serve on and chair the following:
Committee- We need to get candidates for fall elections.
Deason-Toyne will try to find members of the committee again through
C. Old Business/Pending Issues
1. Uses for Faculty Council Budget Funds
We discussed additional bricks
for the COE circle and additional needs for a memorial. Maybe we
could involve the Art Department and have a competition and use funds
as the prize. It would also be a service learning project.
For the memorial, people could purchase bricks for people's
names. A list of all former faculty could be placed on a web page
hosted by Faculty Council. Van Nostrand moved and Van Handel
seconded that we offer a $250 prize for the competition. The
motion was approved. It would be announced in the RiverHawk
Weekly. Photos will be taken of the site and sent by email.
May 1st would be the deadline and we could encumber the funds.
2. Potential design/location for Circle of Excellence Brick
A field trip
was requested to let the delegates visit the proposed site. It
would be in a parallel location to the Student memorial.
3. Establishment of a Learning Community in Tahlequah
No one heard about this at
Professional Development day, we will followup with Rick Shelton.
D. New Business
1. Proposed Consolidation of
"Celebratory Events" - i.e. Circle of Excellence celebration with all
other university ceremonies.
This would not take
effect until next year as this year's dates have been planned. It
was proposed to save money and time. There was consensus that
this honor should not be watered down by combining it with other
ceremonies. The student Ovation winners are given a
banquet. It was thought that a banquet would be appropriate for
Circle of Excellence winners, also. The problem of funding
was discussed. Perhaps we could get donors or a Foundation fund
to support the banquet. We will discuss these ideas again at
2. A concern was raised about tenure decisions
and how long it takes for faculty to be notified about outcomes.
are made by December on campus but not communicated until July 1st from
the President to the faculty member. No other person is allowed
to share the decision with the faculty member. It was felt that
this was too long a waiting period and that perhaps the chair or dean
should be allowed to share with the faculty member. It was noted
that annual evaluations are not even across campus and that chairs
could use more training. It was suggested that there be a simple
survey to find out which departments are not evaluating annually.
It was also mentioned that next August we will have new deans and a VP
and we could start fresh with new ideas. Chairs have had retreats
and training in the past.
Dr. Hannah is on the agenda for the April
meeting. We will also invite Julie Sawyer to come regarding
Faculty Council stayed in close
contact with the Riverhawks basketball game being played during our
meeting and celebrated the 53-45 final victory. There will be a
bus to the game tomorrow.
The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Next meeting: April 6th
Submitted by Linda West, Secretary-Treasurer